Learn to Swim - Thursday Sessions (March/April 2024)
The Milford Recreation Department is excited to offer this years Learn to Swim program.
Whether or not you plan to head to the pool, water is all around us - in rivers, lakes, Long Island Sound, oceans, and even bathtubs. By equipping your child with the lifesaving skill of swimming you'll be opening doors to a lifetime of fun, fitness, and enjoyment.
Our swimming classes for kids are tailored to the needs of each child, so that he or she can progress at a comfortable pace. And although some children may advance more quickly or slowly, our instructors ensure that everyone receives the instruction they need.
The program will be run by swimming instructor Emily Eschweiler.
- Location: McCann Natatorium
- Cost: $100.00
- If your swimmer is not in the correct class, it creates an unsafe situation, and sometimes they cannot be moved to a different class. So please make sure your swimmer meets the proper level prerequisites below.
- No Refunds.
Parents, please read each of the following descriptions for the swim class. If you are unsure of where your child fits, please put them in a lower level. We can always advance them to a different group, if it is available.
Level 1 Prerequisites:
No swimming experience necessary.
Must be out of diapers.
Must be able to sit and listen to instruction for 30 minutes.
Level 2 Prerequisites:
Enter and exit water independently.
Travel 5 yards in water (swim, walk or along gutter).
Glide on front with support 2 body lengths.
Back float for 5 seconds with support.
Level 3 Prerequisites:
Jump from the side into chest-deep water.
treading or floating position for at least 15 seconds.
Swim on front and/or back for 5 body lengths.
Back float for 15 seconds.
Level 4 Prerequisites:
Jump into deep water and recover to the surface.
Treading or floating for 1 minute.
Swim front crawl and/or elementary backstroke for 25 yards.
Swim front crawl for 15 yards, change direction and swim elementary backstroke for 15 yards.
- In the event of inclement weather, the cancellation decision will be made 2 hours before the activity begins.
- Cancellation Information will be posted on MilfordRecreation.com
- If the program is canceled an email and/or text message will be sent to all registered participants.
- Please be sure to update your Household Account with your current contact information and that you opt to receive cancellation information.
Additional Forms and Files: