The goal of the iCan Bike program is to teach individuals with disabilities to ride a conventional two-wheeled bicycle and become lifelong independent riders. This achievement, in turn, creates a gateway of opportunity, helping them gain assurance and self-reliance in many other aspects of their lives.
Riders will attend one 75 minute session per day for 5 consecutive days where they learn to ride accompanied and encourage by volunteer "spotters". Over the course of the week we continually adjust the bikes in an effort to challenge riders appropriately as they gradually discover the skill and joy of riding.
- Riders must have a disability
- Be 8 years of age or older
- Have an inseam of at a least 20 inches
- Weigh less than 220 pounds
- Be able to walk without assistive device
- Ability to sidestep to both sides
- Willing and able to wear a properly fitted bike helmet
- Be able to attend camp all 5 days
- Registration: begins March 15, 2017
- Cost: $150 per child - payable to the Milford Recreation Department
- Please register for the session of your choice
- Registration includes the Recreation Department process and Completion of the Rider Registration Form (see Additional Forms)
- Program held at the Parsons Complex Gymnasium, 70 West River Street, Milford, CT
- Mandatory Orientation Session for parents and mentors will be held on Sunday, August 13, 2017 at 4:00pm.
- The Milford Recreation Department & iCan Shine reserves the right to assign riders to sessions based on program requirements & equipment availability
Additional Forms and Files: